Tokyo (October 4, 2013) - Bridgestone Corporation today announced that Brisa Bridgestone Sabancı Lastik Sanayi ve Ticaret A.Ş. (Brisa), Bridgestone's affiliated company, has reached an agreement with Aksaray Province Organized Industrial Zone, regarding the acquisition of a site for the construction of a new passenger car radial tire plant.
The new plant is scheduled to begin operation in January of 2018, and production capacity at the plant is expected to reach approximately 13,000 tires a day by the second half of 2022. The total investment related to the new plant is estimated to be ¥28.0 billion.
Turkey has a high rate of growth in GDP, and a sound demographic composition (population of approximately 75 million/average age of 28.8 years). Additionally, tire demand in Turkey is expected to grow in the future. Brisa was established in 1988 as a joint venture with Sabancı Holding, Turkey's leading industrial and financial conglomerate. Over the past 25 years, Brisa has implemented a number of business activities closely linked to the market in Turkey. Moving forward, Brisa will continue to build a manufacturing and distribution system that will deliver products to our customers in a more efficient and timely manner.
<Overview of the New Plant>
1. Location : Aksaray Province Organized Industrial Zone, Turkey
(approximately 500 kilometers southeast of Istanbul)
2. Site area : Approximately 96 hectares
3. Products : Passenger car radial tires
4. Start of operation : January 2018 (planned)
5. Production capacity : Approximately 13,000 tires per day
(planned for second half of 2022)
6. Total amount of investment : Approximately¥28.0 billion
<Overview of Brisa>
1. Company name : Brisa Bridgestone Sabancı Lastik Sanayi ve Ticaret A.Ş.
2. Establishment : 1988
3. Location : Istanbul, Turkey
4. Representative : Hakan Bayman (CEO)
5. Capital : 305,116,875 Turkish lira (As of the end of December 2012)
Listed on the Istanbul Stock Exchange
6. Ownership : Bridgestone Corporation 43.63%
Hacı Ömer Sabancı Holding A.Ş. 43.63%
7. Net sales : US$794,000,000 (January to December, 2012)
8. Operating income : US$78,000,000 (January to December, 2012)
9. Number of employees : 1,745 employees (As of the end of December 2012)
About Bridgestone Corporation:
Bridgestone Corporation, headquartered in Tokyo, is the world’s largest tire and rubber company. In addition to tires for use in a wide variety of applications, it also manufactures a broad range of diversified products, which include industrial rubber and chemical products and sporting goods. Its products are sold in over 150 nations and territories around the world.