The Bridgestone Group views the support of regional communities affected by natural disasters to be part of its social mission. Once again, the Group expresses the deepest condolences for the deceased and offer the sincerest sympathies for all those affected by disaster. Going forward, the Group will continue to provide a variety of reconstruction assistance based on disaster conditions and needs in the stricken areas. The Bridgestone Group sincerely hopes for a swift recovery of the people and areas affected by disaster.
Toward Recovery from Disasters
Bridgestone Groups reconstruction assistances and relief efforts for disasters
|Year||Disaster||Bridgestone Group’s supports|
|2020||Heavy Rain in July 2020||8 million yen|
|2020||COVID-19||Bridgestone Group: 1.29 million dollars|
|2019||Typhoon Hagibis 2019 (Typhoon No. 19)||10 million yen|
|2018||Sulawesi Earthquake||P.T. Bridgestone Tire Indonesia, P.T. Bridgestone Mining Solutions Indonesia : 280 million Indonesian rupiah|
|2018||Lombok Earthquake||P.T. Bridgestone Tire Indonesia : 200 million Indonesian rupiah|
|2018||Heavy rains in West Japan||10 million yen|
|2017||Hurricanes in America||Bridgestone, Bridgestone Americas Inc. : 1 million dollars|
|2017||Heavy rains in Kyusyu||15 million yen|
|2016||Kumamoto Earthquake||20 million yen|
|2015||Heavy rains in East Japan||10 million yen|
|2014||Ebola Hemorrhagic Fever||Bridgestone : 54 million yen
Bridgestone Americas Inc. : 500 thousand dollars
|2013||Typhoon in the Philippines||Bridgestone : 10 million yen
Bridgestone Asia Pacific P.T. Ltd. : 50 thousand Singapore dollars
|2013||Sichuan Earthquake||Bridgestone : 15 million yen
Bridgestone (China) Investment Co., Ltd. : 300 thousand yuan
Employee volunteers for the reconstruction of the disaster-stricken areas
COVID-19 relief efforts
In 2020, as the COVID-19 pandemic hit, schools around the world moved to remote learning. Many families lacked the basic technology needed for children to keep pace with their studies, so the Bridgestone Group stepped in to help.
- In Mexico, BSAM donated tablets and school supplies to children at Mexico City’s Amelia B de Casas Kindergarten to help them continue their studies. BSAM also donated laptops to the Bandera Blanca Foundation in Costa Rica for children in vulnerable situations. Digital workshops also were offered to parents and grandparents of these children to help them learn to use the technology.
- In partnership with the CompSharing charity project, BSEMIA donated computers to the Russian Red Cross for families in need of computer access during the pandemic.
In countries all across Europe, Asia, and North and South America, the Bridgestone Group provided personal protective equipment (PPE) to people and organizations. In Latin America, the U.S. and Japan, the Group also manufactured face shields and donated them to hospitals and other healthcare facilities. In May 2021, the Group committed to send 56 ventilators, 120 oxygen concentrators and 10,000 N-95 masks to India through its global network in Japan, United States and Europe.
The Group and its employees helped in numerous other ways as well:
- Offering free, 24-hour emergency tire repair for healthcare workers in Spain and France, crucial services for delivery vehicles in South Africa, and sanitization of front line workers’ vehicles in Ireland and all customers’ vehicles in Thailand.
- Providing NGO and fleet partners in India with food and other essentials for truck drivers stranded on highways.
- Donating two cars, 100 blankets and bags for patients’ belongings to a field hospital in Spain.
- Supplying tires for emergency vehicles in Hungary, Mexico, Costa Rica, Colombia, Dominican Republic and Guatemala.
- Collecting necessities for families in need in Costa Rica, France, Germany, Italy and Mexico.
- Partnering with Food Bank Singapore to host a food donation campaign for those in need and providing new tires for the organization’s fleet of vehicles.
- Sponsoring “Be Heroes Together” blood drives in Thailand and Taiwan to boost supplies to fight COVID-19. More than 490 employees donated over 200,000 cc of blood.
- Supporting seven hospitals, one school and Faculty of Medicine COVID-19 vaccination research efforts at Thailand’s Chulalongkorn University.